zaterdag 19 januari 2008

Timelapse cloud movies

I started this blog as a way to do regular braindumps about hobbies and my main site (cloudwatch.net).

Now, in order to detect clouds at night (which is what the main site is all about) you need a webcam pointed to the sky. It seemed kind of a waste not to use the webcam during the day!
The linux webcam capture software motion was used to gather the images, and then I wrote some scripts on the server to make one timelapse movie every day.

Yes this takes some space, but an average movie of 24h takes about 33Mb of space. I take a picture every 10 secs, so that's 8640 pictures a day. Making a movie with 24 frames per second, you get a resulting movie of 6 minutes.

Alerted by some web post that a rainbow was seen in Ghent at the 26th september 2007, I went back into my archive of movies and looked at it. No luck with the rainbow, but it does show a very eventful day. And it shows how my timelapse cloud movie looks as well :)

Comments appreciated!

1 opmerking:

lies en stijn zei

hey Miker!

is it Venus you can see at dawn?
it's a nice timelapse, but you have to clean the window ;)

grz,
svh