dinsdag 1 juli 2008

I'm moving, cloudwatch.net downtime




Practical announcement:

- I'm moving on friday the 4th of july. This means some cloudwatch.net downtime! Minimal downtime is from 08:00 UT on 04/07/2008 to 15:00 UT on 04/07/2008. This is presuming the internet connection switch goes as expected. I would not be surprised to be out the entire weekend.

Unpractical thoughts on this:
This means my testing webcam in Ghent will move as well, to Aalter.
I've found someone else who seems willing to run a webcam in Ghent, only problem left to solve is the power bill of having a PC on all the time. For me it's not an issue because my server is also hosting the cloudwatch website and some other sites. Leaving a pc on only for a webcam is a bit pricey (someone care to do the measuring and math? I've heard 20/30 euros a month).

Which brings me to something I'd like to check out: buy an USB enabled router, install some open source router firmware on it and use it to host the webcam. It's been done before so should be no problem, and it solves the power bill. And everyone needs a router, might as well take one with a USB port. The Asus WS-500g looks like the most promising candidate, in combination with openwrt.org firmware. Most linux-supported webcams will then also work with this router. Contact me for more info if you'd like to try it yourself.

On a positive note, my new location should feature less light pollution, and a garden with lots of place to build an observatory. After all, what's a cloud detection system without an observatory ;)

Edit: as expected and totally in line with various laws of nature, moving the internet line to my new house has proven to be harder than moving desks, computers and mattresses. I'm hoping cloudwatch.net will be online later today. But I'm not counting on it...

Geen opmerkingen: